Walnut Creek Community Meeting News       August 10, 2017

The August Community Meeting was called to order by Ken Emerson, Board President, at 7:00 pm on Thursday, August 10, 2017 at the Walnut Creek Clubhouse.  Board Members in attendance were Joe Blount, Scott Eiken, Ken Emerson, Ken Finke, Mike Howell, Phil Latessa and Siobhann Williams.  Board Member Alex Hodges was unable to attend.

Ken Emerson welcomed all guests.

Community Member Joe Smith suggested encouraging members to keep up and improve their property by providing incentives and to work on building relationships with realtors through communicating the things the Board is doing to support improved property values. Joe also provided examples of the Platte County Senior Services and Senior Fund benefits / help to seniors including reduced Y memberships, free transportation to the grocery store, and access to assistance with home weatherization based on reduced income for seniors.

Four (4) community members with properties on NW Heritage Hill below the clubhouse, pool and multi-purpose court expressed concern about storm water drainage issues they were experiencing from association property storm run-off. This topic was added to the meeting agenda under ‘New Business’.

The Board approved minutes for the July Monthly Board Meeting with one modification.

Old Business:

The Administration Committee reported on restriction and ordinance violation activity including a letter received from an attorney representing Joe Bichler regarding restriction enforcement activity. The Board agreed to referring the issue to the Association Attorney to prepare a response to the communication.  Board Members approved a request for continuation of privilege suspensions for those violating restrictive covenants.

The Administration Committee reminded other Board Committees to look at the need for improvements (special projects) that should be considered in planning and budgeting for the remainder of 2017 and 2018.

New Business:

Community members with properties on NW Heritage Hill below the clubhouse, pool and multi-purpose court discussed their concerns and property impact from storm water runoff from the Association property. Board Members were receptive to their concerns but expressed concern that a totally effective storm water runoff management system would not be possible considering the extreme water volume storms we have recently been experiencing.  The Board agreed to work with the affected homeowners on examining options and developing a plan to reduce the water flows that have been affecting them.

The Administration Committee announced the resignation of Joe Bichler as a Board Member. Joe Bichler’s resignation letter had previously been provided to Board Members through email and a copy was provided in the Board Member packets.  The Board discussed options for replacing Mr. Bichler whose term was set to end in December of 2017.  Ken Emerson suggested a conversation with Gary Droege, a long time association member, who has expressed interest in helping with Board activities.

The Board provided guidance to the Administration Committee to talk with Mr. Droege regarding his interest in stepping in to fulfill Joe Bichler’s term in as a Director.

The Finance Committee reported that the Association 2016 tax returns have been prepared and they have a couple of clarifications to discuss with the Association’s accountant. The clarifications have to do with variances between the association financial reports for 2016 and the 2016 tax returns.

A report from the Swim Team for 2017 activities and results was not available for the August meeting.

Mike Howell and Sherri Smith reported that the deadline for articles and content for the September / October newsletter will be August 18.  This will provide adequate time for graphic preparation of the newsletter and delivery to the printer with expected delivery to community members the first week of September.

Committee Reports:

Administration – Board Member replacement activity and upcoming major insurance policy renewals in September are on the Administration Community priority list.

Revisions to website reservation instructions and forms are being completed.

Clubhouse – The door to the furnace room is being replaced with a fully louvered door to provide better ventilation to the furnaces.

Community Relations – Preparations for the August Movie Night, the Back to School Activity at the Park Shelter House, and the Labor Day cookout are underway. Plans for the Fall Garage Sales and Clean-up Day are being worked on as well.   This is a very busy time for the Community Relations and Social Committees.

Finance – Board Committees should be preparing for the 2018 Budget Preparation to occur in October, 2018.

Grounds – Ponds Maintenance is ongoing with another treatment completed. Grounds will be looking at various storm water issues with the community.

Pools – The pool will move to ‘back to school’ hours effective August 15.

 

The meeting was adjourned without objection.