Walnut Creek Community Meeting News       September 14, 2017

The September Community Meeting was called to order by Ken Emerson, Board President, at 7:00 pm on Thursday, September 14, 2017 at the Walnut Creek Clubhouse.  Board Members in attendance were Joe Blount, Gary Droege, Scott Eiken, Ken Emerson, Alex Hodges, Mike Howell, Phil Latessa and Siobhann Williams.  Board Member Ken Finke was unable to attend.

Ken Emerson welcomed all guests and introduced Gary Droege who will be completing Joe Bichler’s term as a Board Member.

The Swim Team provided an update on the 2017 season. With a total membership of 133 swimmers, the team is a very young team with the largest group of members in the 8 & under age range.  62 of the swimmers were residents this year as opposed to 44 last year showing a good increase in neighborhood participation.  In addition, close to half of the resident swimmers who joined the team in 2015 and 2016 have stayed with the team.  The team is looking forward to continued progress in 2018.

Community Member Becky Way presented concerns to the Board about flooding at the bridge across Walnut Creek during August including not only damage to property but the danger to residents from exposure to the flood waters.  She observed children and adults in the water being exposed to hazards from flood water contact.  Becky wanted to clarify who is the responsible party for closing the bridge and providing for safety around the flooding area.  Other residents in attendance expressed concerns and discussed approaches to managing the problems resulting from the flooding.  The Association will include an article in the next newsletter discussing the flooding and dangers of exposure to the flood water.

The Board approved minutes for the August Monthly Board Meeting with one modification.

 

Old Business:

Board Members approved a request from the Administration Committee for continuation of privilege suspensions for those violating restrictive covenants.

The Finance Committee reported they are comparing the 2016 tax return data with data from our financials and will be reviewing with the Association’s Accountant before filing of the 2016 tax returns.

Mike Howell reporting progress on looking into storm water runoff issues from the Association’s clubhouse property to our western neighbor’s on Heritage Hill Drive.

Topography of the tennis court and western property border has been surveyed and utilities have been located and marked. At the request of one of the neighbors, Hobie Crane, Platte County Engineer, met concerned parties at the site and made suggestions on approaching the issues.  Next steps will include talking with other knowledgeable individuals and creating a list of engineering firms who have established experience in addressing storm water issues.

 

New Business:

Ken Emerson discussed operational budget preparation and the Annual Meeting. Committees have been asked to turn in their 2018 operational budget requests to the Finance Committee by the end of September.  The Finance Committee will review the request and assemble them into a budget draft to be reviewed by the Board at a special meeting scheduled for October 26.  The Board will review the Annual Meeting and assessment reporting during the October Board Meeting.

Sherri Smith will provide Committee Leads with year to date financial reports for each committee for use in preparing the 2018 operational budget.

 

Committee Reports:

Administration – Gary Droege has agreed to finish Joe Bichler’s term. The Association’s main insurance policies are up for renewal as of October 1 and discussions are occurring with the broker on coverages and costs.

Clubhouse – The door to the furnace room is being replaced with a fully louvered door to provide better ventilation to the furnaces. Reminders were provided on Sunday clubhouse walkthrough procedures and schedules.

Community Relations – The Committee is considering not re-scheduling the Fall event at the park area and combining some of the planned activities for a bigger Halloween event.

Preparations for Garage Sales and Cleanup weekends are being completed.

Finance – Board Committees should be preparing for the 2018 Operational Budget preparation to occur in October.

Grounds – Flooding impacts in the park area are being repaired / cleaned up. Clubhouse grounds damaged during the Spring LED conversion will be repaired this fall.  Grounds is also looking at other storm water issues around the neighborhood.

Pools – The Pool is closed for the season, deck cleared and cleaned, and the pool maintenance supplier will be closing the pool for the year.

 

The meeting was adjourned without objection.