Walnut Creek Community Meeting News    October 11, 2018

The October Community Meeting was called to order by Joe Blount, Board Treasurer, at 7:00 pm on Thursday, October 11, 2018, at the Walnut Creek Clubhouse. Board Members in attendance were Joe Blount, Gary Droege, Scott Eiken, Mike Howell, and Tyler Unsell. Board Members Ken Emerson, Halley Freeman, Jacqui Maiseroulle, and Siobhann Williams were unable to attend.

Joe Blount welcomed all guests.

The Board approved minutes for the September monthly Board Meeting.

Scott Eiken requested problems with the Raintree & Crooked Road Entrance and sexual predators in the neighborhood be added to New Business.

Old Business:

Board Members approved a request from the Administration Committee for continuation of privilege suspensions for those violating restrictive covenants.

Mike Howell reported the Tennis Court Drainage Issue is still being investigated and until funds are available from a budget standpoint to execute a solution, it is not being given a high priority.

Mike Howell reported the Clubhouse Storm     Water Inlet Repair and Improvement is planned to commence in late October or early November. Mike Howell reported the Burlington Group bank reinforcement project is expected to start in late October.

Mike Howell reported he had attended the initial court date for those accused of the July 4th trespassing and pool damage. All three cases were continued and new court dates established.

Tyler Unsell reported he had completed information for potential grant opportunities for help with soccer field development and will inform the Board on results from his initial inquiry.

New Business:

Joe Blount will work with the Swim Team on putting together the 2019 Swim Team / WCSHA agreement. The Board expressed support of continuing the subsidy program under the 2018 guidelines. Mike Howell will be talking with the Swim Team regarding some insurance issues that arose in our recent renewal of liability and general liability policies.

The Board discussed the upcoming Annual Meeting and agreed on a format and agenda for operation & financial reporting and the election process.

The Administration Committee provided deadlines for the upcoming November / December Newsletter and asked Members & Committees to provide any input on inclusions in the Newsletter at their earliest convenience.

Mike Howell reviewed with the Board the draft of the 2019 Operational & Capital Budget provided in their meeting information packets and discussed the change in budgeting concept the Finance Committee is endeavoring to complete.

The change includes scaling down the Operational Budget to only include expenses that will maintain the existing operation of the homes association – maintenance of assets, utilities, insurance, services, etc. Other allowances for periodic equipment replacement, improvements, and other expenses that do not occur annually would move into a Capital Expense portion of the budget.

Capital Budget Expense requests may be pre-approved for the upcoming annual budget. Example: the Pool Committee may request a capital budget request for replacement of pumps or other equipment critical to maintaining ongoing pool operations. Pre-approving these funds allow the committee to execute repairs without calling a special Board Meeting to obtain expenditure approval

Other budget requests for improvements or major repairs (special projects) will be considered by the Board on a merit basis subject to funds available and, if approved, will be included in the Capital Expense portion of the budget.

Each Committee is asked to review the draft of their budget area and provide feedback. The Board previously scheduled a special meeting on November 1, 2018 to work on the 2019 budget.

Mike Howell asked committees to review ideas and priorities for any Capital Project Requests (special projects requests) for 2019 for the November 1 budget meeting.

Scott Eiken observed a school bus turning into Walnut Creek Drive from Raintree Drive and going over the curb and into the corner landscaping bed where we have been experiencing problems. Scott will contact First Student regarding the observation and the grounds committee will review options for the landscaping bed.

Scott Eiken expressed concern about (1) residents with a sexual predator history in the neighborhood and (2) people coming into the neighborhood who might present a threat to children in our community. The Board recognized his concerns as valid but our options are limited in being able to control people who traverse through our community. Scott was encouraged to continue to address his concerns with the Sheriff’s Department and decided to include information in our upcoming newsletter encouraging parents and community members to be very observant of any unusual activities concerning children.

Committee Reports:

Administration – The Association Property and Liability insurance policies have been renewed.

Clubhouse – Gary Droege discussed some of the updates to Clubhouse equipment and systems he is looking into.

Community Relations – The Community Relations and Social Committees are working on the Kids’ Halloween Party and the upcoming Christmas Party.

Finance – The Committee will work with committees on suggestions for modification or the draft 2019 budget in preparation for the November 1 special board meeting.

Grounds – Plans are underway with vendors for the fall turf and landscaping renovations based on a hot and dry summer.

Pools – The pool committee is working with our pool maintenance company on scheduling of some repairs prior to the 2019 pool season.

The meeting was adjourned without objection